It's a familiar scene: You boot your Windows 7 computer (or laptop), when arrive at welcome screen, after attempting to enter your password a message pops up saying "the user name or password is incorrect". No matter what you do it wouldn't let him get in to the system. If you have a Windows 7 password reset disk, you can fix the forgotten-password conundrum in short order. If not, you still have chances to reset the password to Windows 7 system.
Below are our picks for the best free and paid Windows 7 password reset software.
Tipard Windows Password Reset has long been one of the most efficient password reset tool for Windows 7 out there. It's a great user-account password reset tool for Windows 7, 8, 10 and other OS versions. It helps you create a bootable password reset disc so that you can then use it to boot the machine and reset your lost login password with hardly any effort and no fuss. It can reset almost any Windows password, whether it's a regular account or an admin account.
1. Run it on an accessible computer, insert a blank CD/DVD or USB drive, click the responding button on the interface (screenshot 1) to create a bootable password reset disk.
2. Insert the disc into your locked Windows 7 computer, and set the machine to boot from the disc (check the tutorial here to learn how to boot from a CD/DVD or USB drive).
3. When you arrive at the program's resetting screen (screenshot 2), select what account you need to reset the password and then click the Reset button.
4. Reboot the computer, log to the system without password.
The Kon-Boot is one of the most popular Windows 7 password reset tool. It's simple and easy enough to use: you just burn the ISO file of the Kon-Boot to a disc, boot from the disc, remove a Windows 7 password, and you'll be back into Windows 7 in a few minutes.
One of drawback about using this Windows 7 password reset software is it only works with 32-bit versions of Windows 7. If your computer is running 64-bit Windows 7 system, it won't work. Also, it is no longer free of charge.
How to Use Kon-Boot:
1. Head to Kon-Boot site, click the Try free version link at the right side to download the kon-boot1.1-free.zip file.
2. Extract the files in Windows, and then locate the CD-konboot-v1.1-2in1.zip file and extract it, you then will get a CD-konboot-v1.1-2in1.iso file.
3. Burn this ISO file to a disc.
4. Insert the disc into your locked Windows 7 computer, start the machine and boot from the disc. Kon-Boot will start automatically.
5. When you see the Kryptos Logic logo, hit any key to proceed.
6. After Kon Boot screen has executed and Windows reaches the logon screen, just log in to your account without any password. The password will be bypassed.
7. Since Kon-Boot has created a special situation where you can get into the Windows 7 system temporarily, you will have to create a Admin account and change your account's password. Do that as required.
Once this is all done, you've regained access to Windows 7 system.
Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (ONTP&RE) is a very fast and free Windows 7 password resetting software, it erases your Windows 7 password instead of recovering it. Just like Spower and Kon-boot, it creates its own boot environment. you boot from a burned disc created with the ONTP&RE ISO file. After everything passed, you will get the program's screen, follow the instructions given on screen to deleted the lost password. Finally, you can log in to your Windows 7 account without a blank password. The utility will even reset locked or disabled user accounts.
Ophcrack is another great application for resetting Windows 7 password free. It is based on rainbow tables to retrieve Windows 7 login passwords from password hashes. You won't have to know the current account user names or passwords on the system to make it work. From another computer, burn the ISO file of Ophcrack to a CD or flash drive, and then set the locked PC to boot from it and you're off—all automatically. It bypass 99.9% of alphanumeric passwords quickly.
As its name implies, Trinity Rescue Kit includes many different tools, one of which is for Windows 7 password reset. It can helps you clear a password entirely or to set a custom one. Like tools mentioned above, Trinity Rescue Kit needs to be booted from a disc to work.
Add that to the fact that this free Windows 7 password reset utility can be a little complicated to those who are not familiar with command prompt window, as this utility don't feature a graphical interface.
Trinity Rescue Kit also supports password reset for Windows 10, 8, Vista, and XP.
Check tutorial from Wikihow: How to Reset a Windows Password With TRK
Conclusion: Losing password to a Windows 7 laptop or desktop can cause huge amount of headaches. Luckily, there are a lot of free Windows 7 password programs that will allow you to bypass/ crack/ reset your forgotten login password. Aside from five tools we mentioned above, you can get more choices from web.